Monday, July 14, 2008

Brian Barneclo


I was dining at Nopa the other night with a friend, and we sat next to an amazing mid century inspired mural. I loved the boldness of the illustration, the contrast of the colors and the retro-modern urban energy. It was fun picking out all the Western Addition landmarks in the mural (an aside - since when did we start calling Western Addition Nopa?)

Brian Barneclo is the artist who painted the mural, and it turns out he has quite a few murals in the city. He does custom work on spec, but if you want something a little more affordable, he sells a select few of his designs as silkscreen prints at Fabric8. I'm considering buying a couple and stretching it over some frames for my hallway.


I also found a video of Brian painting the mural at Nopa. I'm surprised how free form and spontaneous the process appears. They always make it look so easy . . .



No comments: